8750 W Bryn Mawr Ave Chicago, IL 60631 United States
Carpenters are responsible for construct, erect, install, and repair structures
and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and
power tools; install framing, and seal joints between plasterboard or other
wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering. Carpenters
work with blueprints, specifications, and drawings to build, maintain and repair
various types of structures.
• Designs, constructs, remodels, retrofits and repairs interior and exterior structures made of wood, drywall, plaster, concrete and brick.
• Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
• Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saw.
• Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
• Verify trueness of structure, using plumb bob and level. Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
• Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
• Assemble or install metal framing or decorative trim for windows, doorways, or vents.
• Cut and screw together metal channels to make floor or ceiling frames, according to plans for the location of rooms or hallways.
• Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
• Other job duties as needed.
High school degree or equivalent
Participates in Apprenticeship Program